Monday, February 5

Visitor...

Hello all,

as of today, I'll be doing my posts in English. "Why, WHYYYY?!" do you ask? Well, although I know my prose is absolutely brilliant in Dutch (whahaha), I thought it would be nice to help my niece (or cousin, I've never mastered the difference between the two) Suzy from Australia understand what my life is all about, without having to look up everything in a dictionary. Suzy is coming to visit my family come this May, and of course we're going to be touring the country (should't take much time, I think) in the few days she's here.

Do me a favour, and give her a great warm welcome!

(Oh, and on another subject: Suzy told us in an e-mail that she doen't know any Dutch, but that she DOES know some naughty words in Singalese (the language of Sri Lanka). I think it's only fair we teach her some dirty Dutch words, too...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, here's some more family checking in. It's Wouter's big brother Gilbert. Wouter, you may want to consider changing the name of your blog to Midas' Misery if you are trying to conquer the English speaking world...

Wouter said...

Cute, but untrue, Gilbert. In English, the second 's' should in fact be there. In Dutch, however, it disappears... Let me see if I can find an example...

Wouter said...

Okay, turns ou we're both right...

From an English Grammar site...

Ordinary (or common) nouns that end in s, both singular and plural, show possession simply by adding an ' after the s but proper nouns (names of people, cities, countries etc.) can form the possessive either by adding the 's or simply adding the ':

a. The Hughes' home (or the Hughes's home), Mr Jones's shop (or Mr Jones' shop), Charles' book (or Charles's book)
b. the ladies' tennis club, the teachers' journal, the priests' church (note that the priest's church would only be refering to one priest while the priests' church refers to a group.

Anonymous said...

Hello Wout,
If you can't write English very well, please try the german language so it's difficult for all of us te read and te write.
Hugs an Kisses
Me

Jenny said...

Indeed, naughty words are very important to learn when you visit a foreign country. So, Suzy, a very warm welcome to you!!! And now say: poepgaatje.